TWF and CUHK Symposium on Youth Work and Youth Support in a Changing Society
The Women's Foundation partnered with The Chinese University of Hong Kong to present a full day symposium on the challenges, opportunities and innovations in youth work and youth support in a changing society. The event attracted over 300 social workers, faulty, teachers, trainers, parents, NGO representatives and other members of the public interested in in youth issues.
Su-Mei Thompson, CEO at The Women's Foundation, opened the event with introductory and welcome remarks. She was followed by Professor Tung Fung, Interim Dean for the Faculty of Social Science at CUHK, Professor Lai-chong Ma, Chairperson for the Department of Social Work at CUHK and Professor Sek-yum Ngai, Professor at the Department of Social in CUHK.
This was followed by presentations by a series of eminent academic experts on the specific challenges young people in Hong Kong are facing in pursuing education and self-growth:
- Parenting & Parenthood by Professor Ching-man Lam, Associate Professor, Dept of Social Work, CUHK
- From Education to Self-Actualisation by Dr Ting-sam Chan, Consultant, HK Institute of Educational Research, CUHK
- When Young People Have No Dreams: Social Policies and Community Practices for Promoting Youth Purpose by Professor Siu-ming To, Assistant Professor, Dept of Social Work, CUHK
- Adolescents and the Internet by Dr Mrinalini Rao, Research Associate, the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence, Yale University
In the afternoon, participants had a choice of four different workshops on:
- Understanding and preventing cyberbullying on Facebook
- Building resilience in the school setting
- Dealing with parental anxiety
- An existential empowerment approach to youth work
We are very grateful to Department of Social Work at the Chinese University of Hong Kong for generously hosting this Symposium. We would also like to thank the Commission on Youth, J.P. Morgan, the Hong Kong Academy of Social Work and the Hong Kong Social Workers Association for their support.
Parenting and Parenthood (養兒育女與親職生涯) Prof. Ching-man Lam
From Education to Self-Actualization (從學校教育到自我實現) Dr. Ting-sam Chan
When Young People Have No Dreams: Social Policies and Community Practices for Promoting Youth Purpose(當青年無夢：社會政策和社區實踐如何能促進青年尋夢？) Prof. Siu-ming To
Adolescents and the Internet (青年與互聯網世界) Dr. Mrinalini Rao